The sun is the constant supply of heat, energy and light. Among all, the sun is centered in the solar system cycle. 

        Check out ten things you never knew about the sun:


1. The sun is hotter on the inside: Temperatures can reach as high as 15 million Kelvin on the inside, but the surface of the sun is relatively cool, with just 6000 Kelvin. 


2. It takes light from the sun eight minutes to reach us: This is lovely. The sun is approximately 150 million kilometres away from the earth. Though, this varies with the time of year. Even though light travels very fast, it still takes it eight minutes to reach the earth.


3.  The sun is a big ball of gas: The sun basically contains two gases; hydrogen and helium and different parts of the sun rotate at different speeds. Scientists know this, because of the way sunspots move across the surface of the star. Areas at the equator of the sun, take about 25 days to revolve, while the poles revolve at around every 27 days. This is awesome, isn't it?


4. The sun is hot, really hot: Inside of the sun can reach a temperate of 15 million degree Celsius and, but for the fact that the sun is so big and therefore, creates so much gravity, something would have happened. What? The sun would have simply exploded with all that energy.


5. The sun will one day, not be bigger than the earth: Another interesting fact about the sun is that, after it has swallowed us up, it will collapse itself and become a white dwarf; not bigger than the current size of the earth.


6. The earth is like a speck of dust in the solar system: People have this mindset that the earth is the centre of the solar system, but, they are way off the mark. Currently, the sun's diameter is about 109 times that of the earth. The sun makes up 99.8% of all the mass of the solar system  and the planet, Jupiter, makes up nearly all of the remaining 0.2%. That leaves the earth as a little more than a rock orbiting around the sun. 


7. The sun creates wind: The sun creates a type of wind, known as the solar wind. This wind, is made up of charged particles that travel through space at over 400 kilometres per second. Hmm... A second. Yes, a second. The solar wind, on hitting the earth, can disrupt satellites, communication and computer devices.


8. The sun is about halfway through its life: This is another interesting fact about the sun. In astrophysical terms, the sun is middle aged. It is about 4.5 billion years old. This means that the sun has burned off about half of the hydrogen that it contains. The scientists call the sun yellow dwarf. The sun is older than all your generations put together.


9. The sun will consume the earth: Don't panic! No need to worry yet. It is going to take millions of years, but eventually, the sun will have burned off all the hydrogen and then, start to burn helium. Then, growing will start for about 100 million years. It will consume the earth and many other planets in the solar system too.


10. The sun is bright : The sun is very bright, you can't even try raising your eyes up to the sun. The sun is pretty bright, when compared to other nearby planets. Of the 50  other stars that are closest to the earth, the sun is the 4th brightest of them all. Waoh ! Interesting.


   The sun is justifiable, because none of us would exist without it. The sun really takes care of us like a loving parent. Consider this article by saying, "thank you" to the sun.


© Adedeji Michael